Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Beauty of Musicals « The Beauty in Happiness

The Story
Recently
The Beauty of Musicals « The Beauty in Happiness
May 21st 2012, 02:48

heatherash46May 20, 2012Leave a Comment

Since I was young, I have loved musicals.

The idea that everything that you were feeling, thinking, and doing could be summed up in a dramatic song always intrigued me.  If I had any singing ability, there is no doubt in my mind that THAT is what I would love to do. However, being talentless, I am stuck with being a Broadway starlet in my car, in my head, in my shower – and that's about it.

Theatrical soundtracks have been at the heart of my music selections since I was small.  And perhaps, one of my first musical loves, was the cult-classic Newsies.  I remember being 8 years old, sitting in the back of my mother's bookstore, and watching the movie on repeat.  I remember marveling over the dance abilities of so many 'stars':  most notably, Vinnie from Doogie Howser and almost the entire cast of Nick's Roundhouse.  I remember falling in love with Christian Bale, and yet wishing I was a boy so that I could play the tortured dreamer Jack Kelly.  There was something surrounding that film that entranced me – the underdog, the power of the press, the happy ending – it was all magical.

So you can imagine my excitement when Newsies started its Broadway run this year.

I heard about the run with tempered excitement.  I wanted it to be good.  I really, really wanted it to be good.  But what if it didn't live up to expectations?  What if I was disappointed?  What if, like Grease, the movie really was better?

It did.  I wasn't. I'll call a draw.

Yes, it was incredibly cheesy. Yes, it followed every Disney movie format: underdog has problem – dreams of something better, bad guy tries to prevent something better, underdog falls in love, underdog fights for his rights, meets certain obstacles, and underdog, in the end, prevails.  All to a soundtrack of catchy tunes that make it seem that the world walks around singing and dancing. And yes, that's precisely what made it enjoyable.

The best part of the show, by far, was the incredible energy of the cast.  Every person on that stage looked like they absolutely loved what they were doing.  This is especially true of the Newsboys.  The group of rag-tag, mostly Broadway newbies looked so genuinely excited to be performing, it was infectious.  They danced with an athleticism and a vigor that was palpable.  Jeremy Jordon, playing Jack Kelly, made me do the impossible: forget about Christian Bale.  Plus, the new songs, which I was dreading, were intertwined with professional seamlessness.

However, I'm not trying to write a theater review.  What I adored most about this musical, was what it reminded me.  It reminded me of why I love musical theater.  I started to think about my favorite musicals – Les Miserables, Rent, Wicked, The Color Purple,  etc., I started to realize that they all have the same basic theme of triumph.    I have always considered myself an optimistic dreamer; I have no problem throwing myself head-first into a universe where people sing and dance at the drop of a hat.  Although some may call this naivete, I have no problem believing that in the end, happy endings prevail.  Oh, that happy ending may not be easy to obtain; there will always be people and situations that may cause you to stumble.  You may even forget the lyrics to your own catchy theme.  But if you want it – and if you look for it – and you live your life in the most honest and good way you know how –  those standing ovations will happen.

And really – what's the point of thinking otherwise?

Like this:

Be the first to like this post.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions